Monday, November 8, 2010

Ubuntu 10.04 upgrade: Summary

Previous: Ubuntu 10.04 upgrade on Toshiba Satellite: TrueType fonts & VSM font

I had no problems following the basic installation procedure guided by the installation disk. Differences I noticed:

  1. 9.04 did not recognize the integrated Bluetooth adapter in my Toshiba Satellite laptop. 10.04 also does not recognize it.

  2. 9.04 did not wake up from sleep after I closed the lid on the laptop. 10.04 works properly.

  3. 9.04 did not shut down the computer on shutdown, and did not restart Ubuntu on restart. 10.04 works properly.

  4. 9.04 supported the internal microphone on my laptop. 10.04 does not support the internal microphone. I found a bug report here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/584051 and it appears as if the bug is not considered important. I bought an inexpensive headset and found that 10.04 works fine with the external microphone.

The biggest change is that Ubuntu no longer comes with a pre-installed Java JDK. The official JDK from Oracle is available from the Canonical partner repository. Since it is no longer free software (in the FSF sense), it cannot be part of the basic Ubuntu multiverse. The Ubuntu community recommends Open JDK, but I installed the Oracle version. No doubt the day is coming when I will switch. Same sort of thing applies to OpenOffice and MySQL. Free alternatives exist for both.

Next: Ruby 1.9.2, rvm, and Sinatra follies

No comments:

Post a Comment