Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Ubuntu 10.04 upgrade on Acer netbook: Instiki migration

Previous: Ubuntu 10.04 upgrade on Acer netbook: Ruby Version Manager and Ruby 1.9.2

One final check on the Acer before attempting this install on the Toshiba: Will my local Instiki wiki run under ruby 1.9.2?

First, I installed the usual prerequisites:
sudo apt-get install
libxml2-dev
libxslt1-dev
sqlite3
libsqlite3-dev
gem install sqlite3-ruby
Then, I downloaded the latest Instiki from http://instiki.org/ and unpacked the tarball.

When I started Instiki, it complained:
Bundler couldn't find some gems. Did you run 'bundle install'?
This hasn't happened before in my experience, so I assume it has something to do with running ruby under rvm vs. running it native.

I did an Internet search for 'instiki bundle install' and found useful information at http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/wiki/instiki/show/installation. After reading that information, I thought I had everything in place to run the bundle command, so I ran it from the instiki root directory:
ruby bundle
No complaints, so I started Instiki and it came up clean.

I shut down Instiki and copied the 'public' and 'db' directories from my old wiki (still on the Toshiba) to the one just installed on the Acer. This was sort of a risky short-cut, since I didn't follow any of the instructions for migrating the database. When I started Instiki, it came up clean. Apparently there have been no changes to the basic database structure since the last release. (Whew!)

I noticed that they've added a 'Skip the navigation links' link as the first link in the navigation bar of Instiki. That's a nice accessibility feature and a convenience for anyone who prefers the keyboard to the mouse. Kudos.

At this point, it looked as if Ubuntu 10.04 was okay for the Acer.

(Actually, Ubuntu has been more than just 'okay' for the Acer. IMHO it's a very good environment for a netbook. It's functional, simple, clean, relatively safe, and supports all the usual social networking tools. OpenOffice provides the tools I need to make presentations and so forth when on the road. A $200 machine with a free operating system and all the applications I need ... ideal for the purpose.)

Open questions about how 10.04 would run on the 64-bit Toshiba and whether it would support the wireless adapter could only be answered by installing it on that machine. Installing typical development tools should be no different on either machine, and since I don't use the Acer for development there was no value in going any further with those installs.

Next: Ubuntu 10.04 upgrade on Toshiba Satellite: Prep and basic install

No comments:

Post a Comment