Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Ubuntu 10.04 upgrade on Toshiba Satellite: Prep and basic install

Previous: Ubuntu 10.04 upgrade on Acer netbook: Instiki migration

The "upgrade" consisted of a fresh install of Ubuntu 10.04. To prepare for the install, I did the following:
  1. Cleaned up files and directories.
  2. Moved Gnome .desktop files for certain apps from /usr/share/applications to ~/.local/share/applications.
  3. Backed up my /home and /usr directories to an external hard drive
I learned a couple of lessons in the past few months of using Ubuntu. First, I learned that it's possible to define .desktop files under one's home directory. I moved some of these so that they could be backed up and restored with my /home directory. I also learned that there's no particular benefit in a separate partition for /usr.

Before committing to the new release, I ran 10.04 from the installation disk without doing the actual install. I was pleased to see that the 5100 AGN wireless adapter was supported. Everything looked okay to go forward with the installation.

Based on lessons learned, I defined partitions as follows:
ext4    30.0 GB    /        /dev/sda1
ext4 362 GB /home /dev/sda6
swap 8 GB /dev/sda5
The installation went smoothly. I restored /home from the backup.

I checked to see if 10.04 might support the integrated Bluetooth adapter in the laptop, but unfortunately it does not.

I opened a presentation file that contains images to see whether the bug related to hardware graphics acceleration had been fixed in OpenOffice 3.2. Yes!

I opened Firefox and saw that it is now branded as Firefox instead of Shiretoko. Good! I went to http://www.xmarks.com and installed the plug-in, then synced my bookmarks.

On the local system, I went to System -> Preferences -> Appearance and changed the Theme to Radiance.

Next: Ubuntu 10.04 upgrade on Acer netbook: Adobe Flash Player

No comments:

Post a Comment