Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Ubuntu 10.04 upgrade on Toshiba Satellite: Instiki wiki

Previous: Ubuntu 10.04 upgrade on Toshiba Satellite: Ruby Version Manager

Recent practice migrating my wiki on the Acer netbook made the process go smoothly on the Toshiba.

First step was to install prerequisites::
sudo apt-get install
libxml2-dev
libxslt1-dev
sqlite3
libsqlite3-dev
gem install sqlite3-ruby
Then, I downloaded the latest Instiki from http://instiki.org/ and unpacked the tarball. I copied the instiki directory to /home and renamed it .wiki. Next, I changed to the .wiki directory and ran
ruby bundle
Finally, I renamed the installed db and public directories to db-shipped and public-shipped, and copied the db and public directories from my wiki backup. Instiki came up clean the first time.

Now to get my wiki startup and shutdown scripts working. I copied the icon, instiki.png, to the new .wiki directory. Created a .bin directory in /home and copied the wiki and wiki_stop scripts there. The new directory structure was different, so I edited the scripts accordingly.

My shutdown script didn't work, and after some experimentation I realized that instiki startup is a bit different than it used to be. Previously, it printed the pid to stderr, and I picked it up with awk to generate a shutdown script on the fly. This version of Instiki appears not to do that, so I need to work out another way to handle shutdown nicely. Not worth pursuing at the moment.

Next: Ubuntu 10.04 upgrade on Toshiba Satellite: TrueType fonts & VSM font

No comments:

Post a Comment