Monday, November 1, 2010

Ubuntu 10.04 upgrade on Acer netbook: Adobe Flash Player

Previous: Ubuntu 10.04 upgrade on Acer netbook: Basic install

I went to YouTube and chose a video at random from the default page. As expected, it prompted me to install the Adobe Flash Player. I clicked on the Adobe link and it took me to the Adobe download page, as expected. There was a 32-bit Linux download for APT, so I chose it. It prompted me to enable the 10.04 Partner Channel. This enables downloads of non-free software for Linux. You must enable this to download the Flash Player. After that, it prompted me for my root password.

After a rather long wait, during which the system gave no indication that anything was happening, I was prompted with the Install Additional Software? dialog, asking Do you want to install package 'adobe-flashplugin'? I chose Install, and the installation appeared to work fine. When I tried the YouTube video again, it prompted me again to download the Flash Player, as if it couldn't find the one I had just installed. This time, I clicked on the Install Additional Plugins link instead of the Install Adobe FlashPlayer link.

This time, I got a list of available plugins. I highlighted Adobe Flash Player (installer) and clicked Next. That brought up the Install Additional Software? dialog, asking Do you want to install package 'flashplugin-installer'? I clicked Install. It removed the adobe-flashplugin package I had just installed, and installed flashplugin-installer. This took a long time. The installation appeared to work.

Now I was able to play YouTube videos.

So, the key to success here is to use the Install Additional Plugins link instead of the direct link to Adobe.

Next: Ubuntu 10.04 upgrade on Acer netbook: Ruby Version Manager and 1.9.2

No comments:

Post a Comment