Saturday, August 22, 2009

Ubuntu: No love for Kodak printers

Previous: Installing Banshee media player

Or maybe I should say, Kodak: No love for Ubuntu. Either way, the outcome is the same.

Back at home, I was eager to try my shiny new laptop with some of my home office peripherals. I found no driver for the Kodak ESP-3 multipurpose printer on CUPS. The Kodak driver download site had nothing available for Unix, and no listing for Linux at all. A thread on Ubuntu forums where people were asking about this printer model indicated there is no driver for it and no practical workaround for using the printer with Ubuntu.

Last post, I reported one less reason to boot into Vista. Sadly, I must now report one more reason to boot into Vista.

You might ask: So, why not replace the Kodak printer with a supported model? I might answer: Remember the reason I was in the market for a new laptop in the first place? It was high cost of ownership of hardware. The Kodak ESP-3 is a low cost of ownership printer. It's also low-maintenance and very reliable. I'm keeping it.

Next: Partial success with Logitech EX100 keyboard and mouse

No comments:

Post a Comment