Thursday, August 13, 2009

Installing Tomcat

Previous: Installing Tomcat - FAIL!

I went to http://tomcat.apache.org and downloaded a zipped archive of Tomcat. I unpacked it into my home directory, resulting in a directory tree starting with apache-tomcat-x.x.x. I renamed the top-level directory tomcat-dev.

In Terminal I changed to the tomcat-dev/bin directory and granted execute permission on everything in it with
chmod +x *
Then I tried starting Tomcat with
startup.sh
I expected this to start a server listening on port 8080. It worked.

I edited conf/server.xml and set the connection port to 8081. I edited conf/tomcat-users.xml to define a user like this

<role rolename="manager"/>
<role rolename="tomcat"/>
<user username="tomcat" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat,manager"/>
</tomcat-users>
Tomcat started properly on 8081, and I could get to the Manager app.

Next: Installing support for ColdFusion development

No comments:

Post a Comment