Sunday, August 16, 2009

Problem with keyboard and Synaptic touch pad

Previous: Linux vs. Vista download performance

One of the problems I've mentioned here is that from time to time Ubuntu would stop responding to the keyboard and touch pad. I had not been able to find a report of exactly the same behavior with Ubuntu 9.04 or with Toshiba laptops. I did find some similar reports dating from 2007.

Today I was working on the Vista side of the system to disable some of its pre-configured annoyances, since it had become clear that I would have to use Vista for certain non-work-related tasks. The same behavior occurred once while I was working on Vista.

If the problem affects both operating systems, then it follows that it isn't a problem with the OS, drivers, or firmware. It has to be either the BIOS or the hardware.

This is good news, because if the problem affects Vista users then maybe Microsoft will pressure Toshiba and/or Phoenix Technologies to fix it. They certainly won't care about Linux users.

It may be coincidental, but I've observed an apparent correlation with using the hardware switch to turn off the touch pad so that you can type freely without having your hand movements interpreted as mouse movements. The problem has been less frequent when I avoid turning off the touch pad and just live with the occasional cursor jumps.

Another correlation is that when I close the lid and then open it again later to resume work, Ubuntu no longer responds to the keyboard. I have not observed this behavior when using Vista.

When I get home from this road trip I plan to test a wireless mouse with its own USB Bluetooth adapter. If that works, then the inability of Ubuntu to see the built-in Bluetooth adapter will be less annoying. I'm hopeful that this will eliminate the interference between the keyboard and touch pad, as well.

Next: Audio support fixed

No comments:

Post a Comment