Sunday, April 11, 2010

Installing Java support

Previous: Installing Ruby testing tools

Since my system was trashed anyway, I decided to take the opportunity to apply lessons learned over the past few months of using Ubuntu as my primary work platform. I didn't reinstall exactly the same tools as before for Java development. I want to check out some different tools for building, version control, and continuous integration. This time around, I just installed the basic Java tools.

If you're curious about experiences with installing maven2 and/or migrating Java projects from Mac OSX to Linux, please see this post: http://kotowanandesu.blogspot.com/2009/08/installing-support-for-java.html.

These commands get the latest and greatest JDK and make it the system default.

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-plugin
sudo update-java-alternatives -s java-6-sun

Although Java is available for free, it is not Open Source. The Java install will prompt you to agree with license terms. So, don't expect to "fire and forget" this installer.

To verify that Java 6 is the system default, check the default version:

java -version


Next: Installing Tomcat

No comments:

Post a Comment