Tuesday, December 1, 2009

CD to MP3 conversion

Previous: Installing Wubi on HP Pavilion notebook

RubyRipper - FAIL



RubyRipper was recommended on the Ubuntu community documentation site. To install it, install dependencies:
sudo apt-get install cd-discid cdparanoia flac lame mp3gain normalize-audio ruby-gnome2 ruby vorbisgain
Get RubyRipper from http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/Rubyripper-Download-20741.html and follow the installation instructions for the format of your choice. I used the Debian package install, and it seemed to work fine.

RubyRipper then appeared in the Gnome menu under Applications -> Sound and Video. I tried it with a couple of CDs and specifying different output formats with absolutely no success. As far as I can tell, RubyRipper doesn't even begin to work.

Grip



Grip was also mentioned on the community documentation site. The project home page at http://nostatic.org/grip/grip-download.shtml does not mention an Ubuntu repository package, but when I ran
sudo apt-get install grip
it installed fine and Grip then appeared in the Gnome menu under Applications -> Sound and Video.

On starting Grip, it warned me that it was a development version and not a stable version. I tried it with the same CDs as I had used to test RubyRipper. Worked fine, no problems.

Next: Microsoft drives another Windows user to Linux

No comments:

Post a Comment