Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Installing Wubi on HP Pavilion notebook

Previous: Flash player for Firefox libnspr4-dev dependency

I liked Wubi so well on my Acer netbook that I installed it on my wife's HP Pavilion laptop as well. After rebooting the first time to complete the basic installation, the grub boot loader would never recognize the Linux OS. I tried various this to fix it but was unable to get it to work.

I noticed that the Wubi installer site always downloaded the 64-bit version of the program and offered no way to override this. The Wubi FAQ at http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php includes an entry about installing the 32-bit version of Wubi. It suggested running Wubi from a command line with the 32-bit option:
wubi --32bit
This worked, and the HP Pavilion now has an Ubuntu instance installed.

Next: CD to MP3 conversion

1 comment: