Thursday, October 22, 2009

UMLet install

Previous: Freemind install

I found a useful UML modeling tool that's suitable for agile modeling, called UMLet. I wrote my opinions about it on my Effective Software Development blog, and I won't repeat them here. This entry is just about how I installed it on Ubuntu Linux.

First I downloaded the archive from the UMLet site at http://www.umlet.com. I unzipped the archive for the standalone version of UMLet into /home/umlet.

To make it easier to start UMLet, I defined an alias in .bash_aliases as follows:

alias umlet='java -jar ~/umlet/UMLet/umlet.jar'


Then I created a desktop file for UMLet and saved it in /usr/share/applications as umlet.desktop. The contents are:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=UMLet
Comment=UML diagramming tool
Exec=umlet
Icon=uml_icon.png
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=GNOME;Application;Development;
StartupNotify=true


The desktop definition makes UMLet appear in the Applications -> Programming menu in the Gnome desktop. The icon file referenced in the desktop file is just an icon I found on the net somewhere that reminds me of UML. UMLet doesn't have its own icon.

Next: Another reason to like Ubuntu

3 comments:

  1. I try to run UMLet on Linux. But it does not run.
    Is it necessary to install Java platform into my machine? Hope you response asap. Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  2. actually Umlet has a icon which lies in img folder as Umlet/img/umlet_logo.png

    ReplyDelete