Friday, October 23, 2009

Another reason to like Ubuntu

Previous: UMLet install

Ubuntu provides automated updates much as Microsoft and Apple do for their operating systems. I recently accepted an updated kernel, and afterwards I noticed some rendering problems on the Gnome desktop. A quick net search didn't reveal any fixes, probably because the problem is so fresh.

I rebooted Ubuntu and selected the previous kernel build from the boot menu. It works just fine now.

I really appreciate the boot process that allows you to drop back to a previous kernel build in such a simple and painless way. Now I won't have to cope with that problem while waiting for the fix to be published.

I find this much easier than the procedures for recovering a previously-working version of Microsoft Windows or Apple OS X. Thanks, Ubuntu team!

Next: Static from the speakers

No comments:

Post a Comment